Amber Heard and Johnny Depp reach an agreement

 


Amber Heard and Johnny Depp, a former Hollywood couple, have decided to settle their high-profile defamation suit out of court.


The Pirates of the Caribbean star had sued his ex-wife for $50 million for an op-ed she wrote a year after their divorce ended.


The actress was described as a "public figure representing domestic abuse" in the article.


While his name was not mentioned, Depp claimed the article portrayed him as an abusive partner, which harmed his career.

After weeks of intense trial in which both parties made shocking revelations, a United States jury finally reached a verdict in June.


Depp was awarded $15 million in damages after a seven-member jury in Virginia found Heard's 2018 article defamatory.


The jury also found that Depp's lawyer, Adam Waldman, defamed Heard by telling the Daily Mail that her abuse claims were a "hoax," and awarded her $2 million in damages.

While Heard was disappointed with the jury's decision, Depp stated that "the jury gave me my life back."


Heard initially filed an appeal against the verdict earlier this month. However, the actress revealed on Monday that the case had been settled out of court.

"After much thought, I have made the difficult decision to settle the defamation case brought against me by my ex-husband in Virginia," she wrote on Instagram on Monday.


"It's important for me to say that I never chose this," she added. I defended my truth, and in doing so, I destroyed my life as I knew it. The vilification I've received on social media is an exaggerated version of how women are re-victimized when they come forward.

"Now finally have an opportunity to emancipate myself from something I attempted to leave over six years ago and on terms I can agree to. I have not admitted anything. This is not a sign of weakness. Moving forward, there are no restrictions or gags on my voice."


Heard stated that her decision was influenced by her distrust of the "American legal system," in which her domestic violence testimony "served as entertainment and social media fodder."


In comparison to her trial in the United Kingdom, the Aquaman actress claimed that she was better protected from disclosing her personal life in front of the world media in the United States.

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Top Post Ad

Below Post Ad